Psalm 122:6 Pray for the shalom of Jerusalem. May they prosper who love you.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ohad's story

Here is the story of Ohad that I promised you. Ohad is the Jewish owner of a toy store. I’m not a shopper (except of Israeli things!), but 5 years ago I walked into Ohad’s wooden toy shop and fell in love with his unique wooden toys. I spent a lot of time in there, looking at each particular toy. I actually ended up carrying many of them home in my suitcase (you were allowed 2 bags at 70 pounds back then). We also had wonderful conversations with Ohad. Last year, I was excited to take several friends to Ohad’s store to not only see the fun and unique items there, but also to meet my wonderful friend. Ohad remembered me, greeted me, looked at my crowd of friends in his small store and proceeded to tell us that we were only to enter a couple at a time. I was a little surprised to hear him say this, and my friends politely shopped for only a minute or two and we all left. Now…I must tell you what Ohad had to say when Cal and I walked in this week. He greeted us and told me that he remembered me coming in last year with a bunch of friends. Then he asked us…do you know the name of my store? I actually didn’t and he said, “Noah’s Ark.” He continued softly, “Last year when you came in I asked you to come in two by two. I was making like a joke, but I’m afraid I offended you.” Get it? Two by two into the Ark! For a year, this Jewish man, the Hebrew root of his name meaning "unity", had carried the burden of offending his brother. He seemed so relieved! Well, I am excited to take new friends to Noah’s Ark this year. And perhaps I’ll even take them…two by two! And you can bet I'll slip something into my suitcase!

No comments:

Post a Comment